You want to have fun and color your hair.
But at the same time, you don’t want anything permanent. You just want to go wild and sport a new hair color for a short time.
And you’re thinking about using hair chalk but you don’t know much about it.
This post will help you learn everything you need to know about hair chalk.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning I may make a commission at no extra cost to you if you decide to click on a link and purchase something. Click here to read the full disclaimer.
1. What is hair chalk?
Hair chalk (as the name suggests) is basically chalk for your hair.
It’s temporary hair color for your hair that easily washes out. Both kids and adults can use hair chalk.
It’s made of dry pastels but it’s not the same as regular chalk.
Please do not use regular chalk for your hair because it will dry your hair and it’s not suitable for hair. It doesn’t transfer well to hair either.
You will have more defined colors and your hair will look better with hair chalk.
Hair chalk doesn’t damage hair (it’s made specifically for hair using pastels and binder) because the powder merely coats the hair follicle. It doesn’t penetrate your hair whatsoever so you don’t have to worry about any damage.
2. What are the different types of hair chalks?
1. Hair chalk sticks/pens
These look like regular chalk sticks but they’re specifically made for hair.
Temporary hair chalk only lasts for a few hours on dark hair but a little longer on blonde or light hair.
They go away immediately after washing and don’t damage hair at all.
Temporary hair chalk is safe for kids and adults. Hair chalks come in a variety of colors and you can get a whole kit from Amazon so you can do a nice rainbow hair. You’ll have so many options to choose from!
This is a rather popular kit that has been used by thousands.
2. Hair chalk combs
Hair chalk combs are basically hair chalk sticks that come embedded in combs.
This makes the color easy to apply because you just have to wet the hair before combing the hair sections with the chalk comb.
3. How do apply the hair chalk pens?
- Spray your hair with heat protectant spray if you are going to use heating tools after the hair chalk to dry your hair.
- Brush your hair to remove knots and detangle thoroughly before applying the chalk.
- Use a spray bottle to spritz water onto your hair before applying the hair chalk – this will make the chalk transfer color better. If you have light hair, then skip this step because the color will become very dark.
- Use gloves and an old teeshirt because using hair chalk can get messy.
- Apply the chalk to your hair moving the chalk over preferred sections of hair. Twist the hair sections so that you get more coverage.
- Air dry it naturally or use a heating tool like a flatiron or curling iron. Do not blow dry your hair because this will make the chalk fly off.
- If you want to keep the hair color for longer, then use hairspray so that it coats your hair and seals it in.
4. Does hair chalk work on dark hair?
Yes. But the colors of the hair chalk won’t be as bright or defined as on blonde/light hair.
To enhance the hair chalk colors in dark hair, you can try spritzing water on your hair with a spray bottle before applying the hair chalk.
Another idea is to spray on some dry shampoo before applying the hair chalk.
5. How long does hair chalk last in your hair?
In dark hair, hair chalk only lasts for a few hours and will go away completely after washing with shampoo.
However, if you have blonde hair and you’ve wet your hair before applying hair chalk and then used a hair spray to seal in the hair chalk, you may have to wash your hair 1-2 times before it goes away completely.
6. How to get hair chalk out of blonde hair quickly?
Try washing your hair thoroughly with shampoo first. If the hair chalk is not coming off, then make a paste with equal parts of baking soda and dishwashing soap.
This is going to dry your hair immensely but the baking soda will lift the remaining hair chalk out of your hair. Please follow with a good conditioner so that your hair will regain some moisture.
7. Is hair chalk messy?
Yes, hair chalk is a powder so if you are going to use it, please use gloves and an old tee shirt.
Otherwise, you could end up making a mess.
Make sure you put some old towels on the floor because the chalk will transfer and there will be powder everywhere.
8. Is hair chalk safe for toddlers?
Because hair chalk contains colorants, preservatives, and chemicals, I highly recommend not using them for toddlers or babies.
Your child could develop skin irritation.
9. Where to buy hair color chalk?
There are a lot of beautiful hair chalks available on Amazon. And if you place an order, you should get it within a few days.
I hope I was able to help you understand how to use hair chalk and answer any questions you may have had.
Remember to deep-condition your hair at least once after using hair chalk. This will help your hair retain all the moisture it lost while using hair chalk.